Welcome to the James and Jessie Laurie Family Blog

Please add your stories and photos of ancestors or decendents of James and Jessie Laurie so we can learn more about our family.
Currently this is a public blog. If you want it to be private for the family only we will need everyone's email address so they can be added as authors or readers. Thanks for helping to make this a successful way to share and strengthen our family.

Please note:
If you notice any thing that is incorrect or if you can tell us more please leave a comment under to post and I can edit the corrections or add.

Sunday, July 19, 2015

15 Jul 2015 - Danny Laurie - (Charles Daniel Laurie 1934-2015)

Uncle Danny passed away peacefully on July 15th, 2015. He has been battling Alzeheimer's for a long time. His funeral will be held on July 21st at 1 pm in Taber at the Taber Stake Center with the burial to follow at the Taber Memorial Gardens.

Aunt Pauline can be reached at Larry and Gillian's home at:
82 Fairway Dr  Spruce Grove AB T7X4B6
or her cell phone 403-332-0797  

The service was held in Taber on the 21st:





 

The following is a letter written by Dennis' son, Lindsey and read by Johnathon at the funeral:

Dear family,
This evening, as I was putting Nicholas to bed, a string of thoughts about Grandpa poured into my head. So I started writing. This is what came out. I don't have emails for the whole family, but if you want to share it on my behalf, please do. It is a letter to Grandpa, but also a letter to the whole family.
I love you all. I will see you soon.
Lindsey
* * * * * I have many memories of my Grandpa Laurie. Of our Grandpa Laurie.

Most come from the scores of family dinners for holidays, birthdays, or for no reason other than to have dinner with his big, boisterous family.

When I was young, the Edmonton clan rented a motorhome to drive to Calgary for one of the reunions I was lucky enough to attend. That was the one we had buttons for Great-Grandma Burbank's birthday made. For many years, we lived just blocks from where we boarded the motorhome in the northeast end (presumably to the chagrin of the much bigger west Edmonton clan), and so for many years this trip stayed fresh in my mind. The memory sticks most though, I think, because of what I thought was the truly ungodly hour we all had to get up at to get there on time. On the day, I did not much appreciate this.

But since adding to Grandpa's (and Grandma's) brood of great-grandchildren, I think I've gained some perspective: the Lord wakes up early, he strongly thinks we should too, and every waking moment with our families is a blessing, and should be treasured and enjoyed, regardless of hour, or fatigue, or distance. Most importantly, He shows himself to us through our children, of which Grandpa is blessed with many.

Regardless of the occasion, Grandpa was always a dominating presence. He couldn't help it, even if he tried... and I'm not sure he tried all that hard. That was simply who he was, and his force of personality shaped our larger family and our relationships, both within it and without. My parents, my aunts and uncles, my cousins -- I know you each have a story, or more likely many stories, about how Grandpa shaped your life. I know it, even if I haven't heard your story. We all have them, and through them his mark on our lives, and ourselves, will always be with us.

In my memory, Grandpa was, first and foremost, a fierce man. He loved his Pauline, fiercely. He loved his family, each of us and in his way, fiercely. He was the head of our family... fiercely. To my recollection, everything he loved and enjoyed -- family, construction, golf, computers and other gadgets, the Oilers, to name just a few -- was loved by him fiercely. And he wasn't shy about it. He was never shy.

His ferocity sometimes showed in the oddest, most funny ways. My sharpest, fondest memory of Grandpa's ferocity was the evening before I left Edmonton to move to Ottawa. By the way, almost every day now I drive by the Hog's Back area where Grandpa and Grandma lived during their time in Ottawa; I never tire of remembering that, and the daily reminder of my family back home. But back to the evening. The Oilers were in the midst of their first round series against the Red Wings in the bittersweet spring of 2006. We had invited family and friends over to watch the game, and to wish me well on my eastern adventure during face-off breaks. Grandpa had, completely understandably, had the Oilers logo shaved into the back of his head. As fans of his vintage do, of course. Equally inevitably, there were some calls that we all, ahem, weren't mildly frustrated by, and we lost the game. Grandpa, who my now-wife was just meeting for the first time that night, was so incensed by the circumstances of the loss that he stormed up the stairs, into the car, and back home to the west end. Without Grandma. Or a fare-thee-well to me. But without Grandma!

This took a few moments to fully register. And it was a heck of a first impression on Kristin. The one, first time meeting him left an unforgettable mark on her too (not the least of which was the unforgettable mark in his head of hair). I'm convinced, happily, it also prepared her properly for dealing with (read: tolerating) my own Oilers obsession -- Thanks Grandpa! On the night, all ended well. Grandma wasn't stranded or in any danger, and was safely with family. Auntie Denise was still present and was going home to the same house anyway. And I knew, even if he didn't say it in so many words, that he was behind me and what I left home to do.

His reaction (both to the Oilers being in the playoffs again, and to the loss) was the most shocking, and most entertaining, demonstration to me of the ferocity of his love for the team, and to his unbridled ferocity of spirit in all things. He demonstrated this to each of us in different ways, and at various levels of tone and volume (thanks to my Mom, Kandice and I got away with lower volume from him than most -- sorry cousins). But even at his most ferocious (well, perhaps a time afterward), we always knew that he was fierce because he loved us, and wanted what was best for us and for the family.

I'm writing this while highlights play of this year's Open Championship at St. Andrew's. It's fitting, I think, that that course will be hosting the tournament as we pay our final respects and say our goodbyes. That course, and the game itself, will always in my mind be associated with Grandpa too.

As I go through my thoughts of him, jogging my memory to happy details or stories or events, I also have a deep and painful regret. Just as with my Grampa Frame, for as much as I loved, and respected, and appreciated both of my grandfathers and the time I had with them, I regret not knowing more about them. I regret failing to take the time to ask more questions of them. I regret failing to be more curious about their lives, and their experiences, and the lessons they could have taught me. I regret that I rarely made the time to give them the opportunity to be more than just authority figures, live but ever-so-slightly distant examples to learn from, and sources of unconditional love and support, peppered with a few well-placed looks of disappointment or disapproval. Maybe these failings are an unavoidable byproduct of youth and the limited perspective that accompanies all of us as we grow into our adult selves. Maybe you have similar thoughts, to one extent or another. Be thankful if you do not. The time to fix these failures with those we have lost is gone, but our lost loved ones can be with us still if, by remembering all that we did and did not do with them, we also remember to do better with those we still have.

I wasn't with Grandpa through his final struggles, or with Grandma or Dad or any of you. I wish he could have been with us forever, free of the burdens he had to endure, and enjoying his days with Grandma, and his many children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. I wish neither Grandma nor any of you had to cope with what afflicted Grandpa. But I believe he is now at peace, mercifully released from his troubles, where he can rest and watch over us.

We will be with you again Grandpa, in our own time. But you will always be with us. Thank you for who you were, and for what you helped to make us. We miss you already. I love you. We love you. May God be with you.

Love,
Lindsey

Here is the poem read by Jessie's daughter Chelsey and Larry's son Jonathan, the two eldest grandchildren.

FOR MY GRANDPA

I know we are all feeling a little bit sad,
That we’ve lost our Grandpa, our husband and our dad
Together we have cried an ocean of tears
As we feel so empty and hold many fears

But Grandpa would want us to know he’s in a good place
And that he is watching us all with a smile on his face
As we have made him so proud, as proud as can be
That he has raised such a beautiful and special family

Thinking back now I really must say
I feel lucky and privileged to have known Grandpa to this day
For in my life, you have played a special part
The memories I will treasure and keep close to my heart

For me I am glad my little babies he got to meet
And for all of us, be grateful, his life is now complete
To each one of us he has loved and cared
As a family, be thankful for the good times we shared

Although he has gone we will always be together
And his spirit will live in each one of us forever
When you look to the sky, look for the brightest star
As that will be Grandpa looking on us from afar

And now I would like to thank the good Lord above
For blessing us with our Grandpa with his kindness and love
Dear God, if it is not too much fuss
Take extra special care of our Grandpa as he is very dear to us

Grandpa, if you are listening say a prayer for us every day
Be sure to protect us and guide us on our way
We know when God called you, you had to go

But we want you to know Grandpa we miss you and love you so

Here is the obituary from The Edmonton Journal:

Charles LAURIE

Notice
  • "My Father has and always will be the "Gentleman" I strive..."
    - Dennis Laurie

LAURIE, Charles Daniel "Dan" 
On July 15, 2015, Dan Laurie of Edmonton passed away peacefully with his family by his side at the age of 80 years.
Dan will be lovingly remembered by his wife of 61 years, Pauline; children, Larry (Gillian), Denise, Danny (Mary), Dennis, Sherry (Ken), Jessie (Tim), Jim, Scott (Benny), (Kevan), (Tracey) and (Jassy); 33 grandchildren, 14 great-grandchildren; 1 sister; and friends. 
He was predeceased by his parents and 7 siblings.
For those wishing to pay their respects, please join the family on Saturday, July 18, 2015 at Connelly-McKinley Funeral Home, 10011 - 114 Street, Edmonton from 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
A Funeral Service will be held Tuesday, July 21, 2015, at 1:00 p.m., at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Taber Stake Centre, 4709 - 50 Avenue, Taber, Alberta. Interment will follow at Taber Memorial Gardens. A Memorial will be held in Edmonton at a later date.
Heartfelt thank you to the kind and caring staff at the Edmonton General Hospital, Unit 10Y "Forget Me Not Gardens".
In lieu of flowers donations may be made to the Alzheimer Society of Alberta. 
To send condolences, please visit: www.connelly-mckinley.com


logo
Published in The Edmonton Journal on July 17, 2015
- See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/edmontonjournal/obituary.aspx?pid=175308866#sthash.xondGl9f.dpuf

Also the obituary from Southland Funeral Home:
Dan Laurie
1934 - 2015
 On Wednesday, July 15, 2015, Charles Daniel Laurie of Edmonton, passed away peacefully with his family by his side at the age of 80 years.
 Relatives and friends were invited to meet with the family in the Relief Society Room at the church prior to the funeral service on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 between 12:00 P.M. and 12:40 P.M.
 The Funeral Service was held at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Taber Stake Centre, 4709 - 50 Avenue, Taber on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 1:00 P.M. Burial followed at the Taber Memorial Garden.
 Dan will be lovingly remembered by his wife of sixty one years, Pauline; children Larry (Gillian) Laurie of Spruce Grove, Denise Sawyer of Vernon, British Columbia, Danny (Mary) Laurie of Edmonton, Dennis Laurie of Edmonton, Sherry (Ken) Genest of Calgary, Jessie Laurie (Tim Hladik) of Calgary, Jim Laurie of Edmonton, Scott (Benny) Laurie of Edmonton; son-in-law Kevan Sawyer, daughters-in-law Tracey Laurie and Jassy Laurie; thirty three grandchildren, fourteen great grandchildren, sister Alice Saunders, sister-in-law Bev Laurie as well as numerous nieces, nephews and friends.
 He was predeceased by his parents James and Jessie Laurie, brothers Bill, George, Bob and Gordie Laurie; sisters Gertie Waddell, Jeanie Peterson and Marion Laurie; brothers-in-law Allard Waddell, Eddie Peterson and Gordon Saunders; sisters-in-law Nora, Arlie and Ruth Laurie.
 If friends so desire, memorial tributes in Dan’s name may be made directly to the Alzheimer’s Society of Alberta, #402, 740 - 4 Avenue South, Lethbridge, Alberta T1J 0N9.
 A heartfelt thank you to the kind and caring staff at the Edmonton General Hospital, Unit 10Y. “Forget Me Not Gardens”.

Recording of Service



No comments: